pan-devel

Re: [Pan-devel] Re: pan-0.112 how does handle sporges with identical mes

From: Konrad Karl
Subject: Re: [Pan-devel] Re: pan-0.112 how does handle sporges with identical message ID
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 16:41:38 +0200

Hi Duncan,

thanks for your detailed reply. pls see comment below.
Greetings,
Konrad

On Sat, Sep 30, 2006 at 01:00:34AM +0000, Duncan wrote:
> Konrad Karl <address@hidden> posted
> address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Fri, 29
> Sep 2006 15:36:41 +0200:
>
> > In the past (using perl scripts for download) I used to filter on ratio
> > bytecount/linecount which is much lower on sporged articles or on the
> > senders path and is very likely more than 10 or even 15 on typical
> > articles and it worked fully automatic.
> >
> > So my question: is the new pan able to address individual articles within
> > a binary set in order to delete sporged ones because i cannot see how the
> > article number is being recorded besides the first article in a binary
> > set, moreover a tcpdump trace showed me, that the first article was
> > fetched by article number and the others by Mesage-ID...
>
> pan doesn't at this point do well in scoring/filtering anything where the
> poster is deliberately making it difficult to do so, period.
> Unfortunately, it seems the scoring pan does can only handle headers
> normally found in the overview, which simply isn't enough to kill these
> things.  Better handling has been on the wish list for a very long time. I
> know, as I filed a bug on it years ago, but Charles said low priority,
> bluesky, likely post 1.0, which was then bluesky as well, and I can't code
> or it'd be handled by now.

There is almost all info here, just the article numbers are missing for
all but the first article in a group. Unfortunately I did not save
a sporge-corrupted article group last time so I am not 100% sure
that the message-id had really been forged, at least the date
and subject was (of course :). The only differences between
original and sporged was the Path and the byte count if memory
serves me.

Perhaps I should write an Xover proxy which filters at
bytecount/linecount ..... ?