pan-devel

[Pan-devel] Insane amount of memory required during compilation

From: GISQUET Christophe
Subject: [Pan-devel] Insane amount of memory required during compilation
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 03:14:21 +0200

Hello,

while compiling under Win2K with g++ 3.4.5 or 4.0.2, I have noticed that my computer was running into swap, eventually failing to compile the binary scorefile-test. For the record, this computer has 1GB RAM and 1GB swap.

The only solution I found so far is either to hack the makefile or (cleaner) touch'ing pan/data/scorefile-test.exe

Only gcc 3.4.5 is an official mingw release. The 4.0.2 has been obtained through cross-compilation and may not provide the level of functionality expected from an official mingw release.

However, being 2 different development branches, I thought the problem was significant enough to be reported on this mailing list. Whether the solution is an use of gcc4 visibility, a reduction in template nesting or anything else, I'm also wondering why it has never been noticed/reported before.

Best regards,
Christophe GISQUET