pan-devel

[Pan-devel] Gentoo ebuild contribution?

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-devel] Gentoo ebuild contribution?
Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 16:52:20 +0000 (UTC)

1) I've been thinking about providing Gentoo ebuilds, since
Gentoo's tree isn't quite keeping up with the weeklies.  Do I just mail
them or should I put them up on my website and mail you a link or what?

2) Conceivably, I'd do a second ebuild (so pan-0.97-r1.ebuild, for
instance, the -r1 being Gentoo's way of adding additional revisions
between upstream releases) with updated patches
(pan-0.97-quit.patch, as you posted to the list, for example) applied,
midweek. These patches are normally kept separate from the ebuild, which
is simply a build and install script, and separate from the source
tarballs so they remain unchanged, as well.

The patches could either be in the same Gentoo subdir or kept separately.
The latter would be useful in case others wished to use them, and would
allow them to be fetched other than from the mailing list, for those that
preferred.  Is this possible?

As an alternative to putting the patches onsite, since ebuild scripts
are bash scripts of sorts, I could use here documents to include the
scripts inline.  However, that's a hack rather than an optimal solution,
so I'd prefer to keep the patches separate, if possible, and making them
available in a subdir of the SOURCES dir so they are available to all
seems sensible.  (One thing for this  to work, once the patches are there,
don't change them, generate new ones if necessary, as portage uses
checksums to validate them and if they change...)