pan-devel

Re: [Pan-devel] Re: Upgrading from 0.14.2.91 to 0.91

From: Charles Kerr
Subject: Re: [Pan-devel] Re: Upgrading from 0.14.2.91 to 0.91
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 18:24:50 -0500 (CDT)

>>> Is there any way to move/import the groups,messages, etc from
>>> 0.14.2.91into 0.91?

>> The format for most stuff has changed, and there's no automated
>> conversion applet available.  The exceptions are the two files
>> that are standardized format: the score file, which you should be
>> able to use unchanged, and the newsrc files, which you can use to
>> export your groups and (I think) message tracking from 0.14.x
>> and into 0.91.

> Sorry, but I don't understand how to do this and get it to work.  I
> copied the files from /.pan/data/Default into /.pan2/groups and from
> /.pan/data/messages/cache into /.pan2/article-cache.  But when I then
> open up 0.91, none of that appears.
> What else do I have to do?

Here's what's compatable between the versions:

* The Score file in ~/News/ works as-is.
  (except for an Xref crash that will be fixed in 0.92)

* Exporting a newsrc file from 0.14.x to ~/.pan2/newsrc-N,
  where N matches the id attribute in ~/.pan2/servers.xml, works.

* Message cache files, once copied from ~/.pan/data/messages/cache
  into ~/.pan2/article-cache, should work?

Here's what's not compatable between the versions:

* The 0.14.x sub/unsub files.  But this is a good thing, since these
  binary pan-only files have been replaced with stanard, human-readable
  newsrc files, which *are* compatable with 0.14.x.

* tasks.xml: again, it was a choice of replacing a pan-specific
  file format with a standard one, in this case nzb.

* The headers files.  They are completely incompatable: the new files
  can hold multiple news servers (which is why .pan2 only has one
  header file per group, rather than one per group per server)
  and are (more) human-readable and human-editable.