pan-devel

Re: [Pan-devel] Re: Building PAN on Windows

From: GISQUET Christophe
Subject: Re: [Pan-devel] Re: Building PAN on Windows
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 13:06:51 +0100

Hello,

DPA wrote:
Well I wish I could say that I was successful but I have been unable to
compile libxml2...  I walked away from it for a few days out of
frustration but I will pick it back up sometime this weekend.

Can't you pick the package available at [1] ? Unfortunately, it's way too MSVC-centric, and if I remember well, almost useless: no libtool file, archive libs have to be renamed, no pkg-config file, no xml2Conf to get in yet another way the pathes and to top it all, missing exported symbols. You could get packages I build using mingw: libxml2 2.6.23 [2] which depends on libiconv 1.10 [3]. I'm usually building them with --enable-shared --enable-static --disable-rpath --enable-nls (so they might need gettext dlls too, but I'm not sure).

The drawback is that if you use Tor Lillqvist's GTK+/... packages [4], which don't have versioning in his dlls, will yield a double dependency for instance on iconv.dll and libiconv-2.dll. I found no way to force libiconv build setup into submission and remove this versioning so that the ones you compile can replace the ones provided by Lillqvist.

of the larger binary groups.  Right now he is running Agent but he would
like to use PAN and this is an interesting Challenge for me.  If I do
manage to get it done and if Charles doesn't mind I will host the
installer somewhere for people to download if they want to test the CVS
version on Windows.

I'm currently able to build the CVS version. Unfortunately, as W2000 is not IPv6-happy, I had to hack into pan some support:
- patch available at [5] using legacy functions
- get the IPv6 technology preview for win2K and make an import lib out of the dll (using pexports and dlltool as explained at [6])

Any solution I pick, the pan binary launches. When I try to update any newsgroup, the application just sits there, sometimes hanging for a few seconds. Some months ago, it was at last starting to get some articles, but was timing out quickly.

I hope it will work out better for you.

Best regards,
Christophe GISQUET

[1] http://xmlsoft.org/sources/win32