pan-devel

[Pan-devel] Re: CVS version and download speed

From: Tom Dexter
Subject: [Pan-devel] Re: CVS version and download speed
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 14:47:25 -0500 (CDT)

> Tom Dexter posted
> <address@hidden>, excerpted
> below,  on Sun, 02 Oct 2005 10:59:37 -0500:
>

> > I mentioned this in an email to the list a few months ago, and was curious
> > if anyone else has noticed this.
> >
> > I have a cable modem and normally get close to full 10 Mbps downloads.
> > With the 0.14.2 verions of pan I can generally get my full bandwidth when
> > downloading...800 KB/sec to over 1 MB/sec.  With the current CVS (and the
> > one from several months ago) it simply seems incapable of exceeding 300
> > KB/sec, often staying around 100-200.
> >
> > This is compiled on an x86 system running the latest Gentoo (2.6 kernel).
> > Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> The CVS version is a SERIOUS rewrite of the back-end.  It now uses less
> memory and does some other things differently, but will take a bit more
> CPU while downloading.  You don't say what sort of CPU you are running,
> but take a look at CPU usage and see if it's running high.  If so, that's
> your problem.
>
> I'm not running CVS here, and AM running a dual Opteron (amd64, Gentoo
> here, too =8^), so even if I was, my numbers wouldn't mean much for you.
> However, taking a wild guess, if your CPU is say a 1.5GHz or slower, it's
> possible that's it.

This is on a Dell 8250, Pentium 4, 2.53 Mhz.  Though I didn't specifically
look at CPU usage while trying this, there was virtually nothing else
going on while I was running it, so it's unlikely it was maxed.  I'll try
it again however, and look at the CPU.

> Also note that the download method has been reworked some as well.  I
> don't believe it's using libgnet as the release versions do.  That may
> also be an issue, depending on how many download threads to how many news
> servers you are running.  Again, I'm not running CVS so I can't say how
> /much/ different it is in practice, but double-check that you have it
> configured for the correct amount of download threads (up to four per
> server allowed in the release versions, don't know about CVS).  It's
> possible you were running multiple threads before, and it's either
> configured for only one or two, now, or it's configured right but the new
> code may not be well optimized or may be buggy.

I made sure to check that.  I tried changing it as a matter of fact.  I
use only one news server and usually three threads.  With the 0.14.2
version I can max out my bandwidth using only one thread.

> Finally, check your CFLAGS.  (Gentoo specific) Note that compiling from
> CVS will bypass the CFLAGS you have set in make.conf, since it's not
> compiling thru portage. You'll probably want to manually set a shell
> variable with your preferred CFLAGS, before compiling anything outside of
> portage, so you still get the ones you want.  (Also note that since you
> are compiling outside portage, you won't have portage filtering anything
> out of CFLAGS that's known not to work on a particular package, so
> consider scaling back a bit if something breaks.)

I'll try some changes to CFLAGS.  Actually the 0.14.2 version that works
well for me was compiled outside of Gentoo as well (without my make.conf
flags) as I use a version where I have hacked a few things to my liking
(keyboard command changes and small stuff).

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else on the list has tried the CVS on
a connection this fast.

Anyway...thanks for the reply!

Tom