pan-devel

Re: [Pan-devel] Move to database back-end

From: Martijn Lievaart
Subject: Re: [Pan-devel] Move to database back-end
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 09:01:02 +0100

Tom wrote:

Hi,

I have seen occasional mentions on the pan-users list about plans to
move to a database back-end. I have some database experience, so I
thought I'd find out what the status of that work is, and see if I could
be of help.
Basically I thought of doing the following, at last as a start:
1. Make a first cut at a database design/schema, and implement it.
2. Write a conversion routine/utility which would read the current files
and load the database. I've been looking at the CVS tree, specifically
pan/base/file_headers.c and related files.

Would this be a switchable backend? Does Pan support different backends at the moment?

The reason I ask is because I'm thinking about a direct-from-spool backend. I run my own leafnode and the savings could be huge.

Regards,
Martijn Lievaart