pan-devel

Re: [Pan-devel] The Blue Sky Becomes Clear - part 01: Basic Thoughts -

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-devel] The Blue Sky Becomes Clear - part 01: Basic Thoughts - revision 00
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2003 02:48:00 -0700

On Thu 03 Apr 2003 18:08, Joe Weaver posted as excerpted below:
> > I'd argue that your statement about Linux is incorrect.  This isn't
> > MSWormOS. We aren't stuck with some limited choice of proprietary fs
> > formats.  There
>
> Bear in mind there has been recent interest in porting Pan to other
> platforms, including Windows.
>
> Are we planning on porting to MSWormOS any time soon?

As Mark says, it's already been ported..  The beta d/ls are available @
rebelbase along with all the others.  I think it's still considered
non-stable on the platform, but it's definitely been getting better and is
decently workable.

That said..  I can't honestly say I'd currently recommend PAN on MSWormOS,
except for those that use it primarily on *ix and wish to continue working in
a familiar client when on MSWormOS.  There are far more mature news clients
on that platform, that PAN will eventually match or beat, but it honestly
isn't ready for a head2head comparison.  That's perfectly OK, however, right
now.  PAN isn't yet 1.0, and looks to have several generations of 0.x stable
versions to go before it is.  It's still in active development, and when it
gets to 1.0, I have every reason to believe it will be the "Pimp-Ass
Newsreader" of all "pimp-ass newsreaders", on *ALL* supported platforms!

We just have a bit of a ways to go.  Just how far we might forget once in
awhile -- until we start comparing it to decently mature news clients on the
majority platform..

(Features that I'd personally consider necessary b4 PAN is ready for a
head2head comparison include 1) 100K+ post group handling w/o bogging down to
where it looks frozen, 2) attachment posting, if not automated batch mode
multi-part, at least manual single and multi-part posting, 3) decent
filtering/scoring on more than overview fields, such that it is possible to
match on posting host, organization, reply-to, etc, in the headers, and match
on body and/or entire post contents as well.  "Pimp-Ass" features, making it
BETTER than the competition, would include virtual server and virtual
newsgroup features a la BNR2, and perhaps batch posting, as well as a
standards based open database format, that is compatible with say MySQL.
With such a database, the ability to keep posts forever if desired, and
preview features of other than still pix media, one could manage all news
directly from PAN.  High goals?  Definitely, but after all, they SHOULD be,
with a name like "Pimp-Ass Newsreader"!)

--
Duncan
Benjamin Franklin