oroborus-user

[Oroborus-user] New Oroborus theme changer

From: Chris Wareham
Subject: [Oroborus-user] New Oroborus theme changer
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2003 09:47:08 +0000

Hi!

As I don't have Tcl/Tk on my computer, I've written an alternative to
the existing theme changer. It's written in C and uses the GTK+ 2
libraries. I don't have anywhere on the Internet where I can post a
tarball of the program, so I hope you don't mind me including it as an
attachment to this e-mail.

Note that I wrote this on NetBSD, and I've implemented a pkill()
function that sends SIGHUP to Oroborus. This relies on the kvm system
for providing a list of processes running under the callers UID. On
Linux, I believe similar functionality can be acheived with the /proc
filesystem. I looked at the procps package, but it appears that the API
for /proc is poorly documented and often changes. As an alternative that
should work at least on Linux and Solaris, I have implemented a pkill()
using system to call pkill(1).

Occasionaly the window manager doesn't get restarted after it receives a
SIGHUP, complaining that another window manager is already running. Any
help on solving this problem would be greatly appreciated. Note that I
am using xsm as my session manager as I don't have the parts of GNOME or
KDE that implement panels or session management.

Finally, I don't mind using my experience of writing the theme changer
to have a go at a complete configuration tool for Oroborus. I would be
inclined to use GTK+ 2 again, as it is a really nice toolkit to work
with.

Regards,

Chris
--