Re: [Openvortex-dev] Au8830 Status

From: Manuel Jander
Subject: Re: [Openvortex-dev] Au8830 Status
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 01:01:30 -0400

Jeff Muizelaar wrote:

I have thought a bit about code sharing. Because the 88x0
architectures
are so similar it will probably work best to have each chip
supported as a
different compile time option for a single source base. Thus, each
driver can be compiled/loaded as necessary. This might lead to a
bit of
'#ifdef' mess but we'll see... Any thoughts Manuel?

I agree 100%. I was thinking about dynamic address offsets, so the
different cards could be used with the  same driver, but thats
too much ovberhed i think. So the best solution would be using
#ifdef's.

I think the alsa driver layout should probably be something like

pci/au88x0/*

with au8810.h au8820.h and au8830.h for the chipset specific registers

I think we should move from vortex to au88x0. Using chipset names
instead of marketing terms seems to be the trend with alsa. (emu10k1
instead of sb live, etc.)

-Jeff

OK. But i think it would be nice to have one single pci/au88x0 directory,
since that way its easier to share code between them and the driver doesn't
spread to much along the ALSA tree. What do think about ? Some few
Makefile directives could take care of building the required snd-au88{10,20,30}
driver.

Manuel