Re: [Openvortex-dev] Au8830 Status

From: Jeff Muizelaar
Subject: Re: [Openvortex-dev] Au8830 Status
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 21:18:06 -0500 (EST)

> >I have thought a bit about code sharing. Because the 88x0
> architectures
> >are so similar it will probably work best to have each chip
> supported as a
> >different compile time option for a single source base. Thus, each
> >driver can be compiled/loaded as necessary. This might lead to a
> bit of
> >'#ifdef' mess but we'll see... Any thoughts Manuel?
> >
> I agree 100%. I was thinking about dynamic address offsets, so the
>  different cards could be used with the  same driver, but thats
> too much ovberhed i think. So the best solution would be using
> #ifdef's.

I think the alsa driver layout should probably be something like

pci/au88x0/*

with au8810.h au8820.h and au8830.h for the chipset specific registers

I think we should move from vortex to au88x0. Using chipset names
instead of marketing terms seems to be the trend with alsa. (emu10k1
instead of sb live, etc.)

-Jeff