Re: [Openvortex-dev] Things to be uncovered

From: Jeff Muizelaar
Subject: Re: [Openvortex-dev] Things to be uncovered
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 23:27:53 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 19 Mar 2003, Manuel Jander wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I would like to say that there are still things that need to be
> discovered on the Aureal cards:
>
> -AU8810 and AU8830 hardware equalizer. Semes easy, but
> there is still some ASM code to be translated. I dont have such a card
> so can anyone with a AU8830 or AU8810 help please ?

I can do this when I get chance.

> -WT DMA engine audio routing. Its absolutely clear how to control that
> DMA engine, but howto route that audio to the codec is unknown. Somehow,
> that part semes to have been ripped out of the Linux binary driver. I'm
> trying to disassemble the Windows driver, but i haven't been able to
> find any decent Windows VXD disassembler. The assembly output i get is
> just nearly unusable, no function detection, no relocation, neither a
> decent text formating :-( they are all crap.

I might also be able to give a hand with this. I have done some work with
objdump/bfd. Though after a bit of research it looks like vxds are not PE
but LE which might make things tough. This will probably a longer term
thing then. Have you tried biew.sf.net ?

I am still without a proper machine for development (and a decent amount
of free time). Found out my broken motherboard blew my power supply too.
Then blew another reassembled supply well testing it on a older board that
turned out to be very very unhappy...

> This would us allow to implement a Wavetable engine. There is a lot of
> code in the ALSA driver that could be recylced for this purpose.
>
> As far as i can tell the Aureal Windows driver has been developed with
> VxDTool, a windows driver Visual Basic style driver development enviroment.
>

> -Obviously, would be cool to discover howto to program the A3D filters
> :-D, but that would have the last priority in my opinion.
>

> Vy the way, the SRC semes to be cappable of some kind of special
> effects. If the 3 bit of SrcSetupChannel() is set, the sample rate
> conversion ratio varies continuously, sliding the pitch of the sound
> down. Very strange but sounds cool :)

Neat stuff.

-Jeff