Re: [Openvortex-dev] ALSA Vortex driver nearly complete.

From: Jeff Muizelaar
Subject: Re: [Openvortex-dev] ALSA Vortex driver nearly complete.
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 22:48:02 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 9 Mar 2003, Manuel Jander wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm writing a Vortex ALSA driver, recycling most hardware stuff from the
> experimental OSS driver on savannah. I only own a AU8820, but support
> for the other cards shouldnt be difficult, because anything was done
> with portability in mind, and i keep looking into the other cards
> disassembled binary driver from time to time.
>
> Right now the MPU401, ac97 mixer and the gameport work.
> PCM audio is still broken, because the period acknowledge
> doesn't work well. That means you get sound, but the buffer
> doesnt update correctly.
>
> The au8820-driver (OSS) doesn't has this problem, but it has some buffer
> related bug that causes memory corruption. I dropped further OSS driver
> in favor of the ALSA driver, because that way i can concentrate on the
> Hardware part.
>
> I'll be uploading it on CVS in next days.

sounds good.

The capacitor replacement operation on my motherboard failed so I still
don't have a functioning machiene with an aureal card in it. I hope to buy
a new board this weekend. (hopefully the new cpu hasn't been fried...)

I have started work on moving the new au8820 code to the au8830. It looks
there are some larger differences in the sample rate code that will need
further study.

I agree it is probably wise to focus on ALSA.

-Jeff