oath-toolkit-help

Re: [OATH-Toolkit-help] Patch to include totp validation to the pam modu

From: Rien Broekstra
Subject: Re: [OATH-Toolkit-help] Patch to include totp validation to the pam module
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2011 14:03:13 +0200

On 4/6/2011 11:30 AM, Max Thoursie wrote:

[snip: totp pam patch]

One comment I got from Simon was that it should include an option to
disable reuse of a token in the same time window.

I didn't change that from the original, every token can be used to authenticate once, because the last succesful authentication is logged to the userfile (otp and date), and if the user-supplied otp matches the last-used otp the authentication fails

[snip]

Using the moving factor for time step size was a good move, I've
should have thought of that. But why hardcode the window size when it
can be configured for HOTP?

(I only spent a couple of hours reading the source, so what I'm writing below might be inaccurate:)

Can it? Afaik, the hotp-module saves token type, name, password, seed, movingfactor, and optionally the last used otp and the timestamp of last authentication. For totp-authentication we need all of those, except for the moving factor.

Of course it would be possible to add a column to the usersfile to also specify the windowsize, but that would break compatibility of the usersfile with older versions.

Cheers,
--
Rien