Re: does anyone use nmh's Google OAuth mechanism?

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: does anyone use nmh's Google OAuth mechanism?
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2022 21:18:17 -0400

First off ... my apologies to everyone for being silent the past few
months.  Things have been rather ... challenging in my personal and
professional life, and I'm glad David is taking this on.

>Alternatives include updating nmh per the Google recommendations, or
>(I think) using Google APIs.  If you use nmh's glogin.py, you're using
>Google APIs.
>
>Details from Google are available here:
>https://developers.googleblog.com/2022/02/making-oauth-flows-safer.html
>
>The "might" and "I think" are due to me not understanding some of
>Google's announcement.  For example, I expected to see a "user-facing
>warning message" starting September 5, but I don't see any such
>message.  I'm also not sure if glogin.py is affected.  It doesn't
>display any warning message, either.  Google has not notified me about
>it; they did notify me about the older nmh Google OAuth mechanism.

The thing that worries me is that as far as I can tell, we do use the
"oob" scope, at least as I understand it, and that's what specifically
they are shutting down.  But maybe I'm wrong and that was the older
mechanism?  I admit that I am a little confused when it comes to exactly
what the scopes mean!  So, are things going to continue to work?  I guess
that's what I am really wondering.