Re: Export/sync nmh folders to IMAP server

From: Steffen Nurpmeso
Subject: Re: Export/sync nmh folders to IMAP server
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2022 21:07:15 +0200

Ken Hornstein wrote in
 <20220629184548.F030B19FBA1@pb-smtp20.pobox.com>:
 |>I guess I will try the Maildir hard links script with
 |>cyrus-imapd for providing access to the 6G of mail on my desktop.
 |>I'm okay that it would be read-only... it's probably a feature.
 |
 |I am continually confused why anyone thinks Maildir is a good idea for
 |mailbox storage; I think it is fine for a _maildrop_ (since that was
 |it's intended purpose), but every time I've seen it used as a backend
 |for mailbox storage, you end up cramming a lot of metadata into the
 |individual filenames and nobody seems to quite agree on those metadata
 |semantics.
 |
 |Also, I thought cyrus-imapd uses it's own internal backend for
 |mail storage and Maildir isn't one of them.  Looks like the list of
 |storage types is here:
 |
 |https://www.cyrusimap.org/imap/concepts/deployment/databases.html#storag\
 |e-types
 |
 |You might be thinking of Dovecot which _does_ use Maildir as a backend
 |storage, but my understanding is that Dovecot has the filename metadata
 |problem mentioned above.

Hm, i rewrote Maildir name things of the MUA i maintain, and
i found:

   /* If the seconds part does not work, go deeper.
    * We use de-facto standard "maildir - E-mail directory" from the Courier
    * mail server, also used by, e.g., Dovecot: sec.MusecPpid.hostname:2,flags.
    * However, a different name convention exists which uses
    * sec.pid_counter.hostname:2,flags.
    * First go for usec/counter, then pid */

I do not know about other name variants.
But i agree that my a_maildir_cmp() for name comparison is a hog.
We also use an array for all the filenames in a box (i want to
implement Zawinski's index for long, but not yet).
(I personally like a nice and so on, append-only MIME MBOX the
most, and do not understand why people do not like it.  Heck, once
i read on a FreeBSD list an administrator saying something like
"... my boss has a 2GB INBOX, it is no fun; we now use
Archaeopterix" or however this dinosaur/software combo was really
named.  What i mean is: if you only append anyway, have a nice
index.  Cheerio.)

--steffen