Re: mhl linewrapping

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: mhl linewrapping
Date: Sun, 22 May 2022 12:17:37 +0100

Hi Philipp,

> First of all it depends on the terminalsize, if the size is not given
> by the arguments.  This leads to diffrent linewrapping on reply
> depending on the size of the terminal.  This could be fixed by going
> to some default width when stdout is not a tty.

It would seem right to only use the terminal to set the width when the
output is a TTY.  There is already a default width of 80, mentioned in
mhl(1), if the terminal width can't be found so my initial thought it
that would do.

> Next it only supports hard linewrapping.  Therefor sometimes words and
> links get split.  Some support for softwrapping would be nice.  So mhl
> could search for the last whitespace befor the selected width.

Are you just talking about the body component or all of them?  Are you
aware of -fmtproc, etc?  Some versions of fmt(1), for example, do
other nice things like trying to avoid the word ā€˜Iā€™ at the end of
the line.  Other formatters might re-introduce two spaces after the end
of a sentence.

    $ cat mhl.format
    from:
    to:
    subject:
    :
    body:component="",format,formatarg=-42,formatarg=-c,nowrap
    $
    $ /usr/lib/nmh/mhl -form ./mhl.format -fmtproc fmt -width 42 <`mhpath .`
    from:  Philipp Takacs <philipp+mmh@bureau
    cracy.de>
    to:  nmh-workers@nongnu.org
    subject:  mhl linewrapping

    Hi

    The linewrapping in mhl is not realy
    good and I would like to implement some
    improvements.

    First of all it depends on the
    terminalsize, if the size is not given by
    the arguments. This leads to diffrent
    linewrapping on reply depending on
    the size of the terminal. This could be
    fixed by going to some default width when
    stdout is not a tty.

    Next it only supports hard
    linewrapping. Therefor sometimes words
    and links get split. Some support for
    softwrapping would be nice. So mhl could
    search for the last whitespace befor the
    selected width.

    What do you think about this?

    Philipp

    $