Re: crufty mhn.default.sh stuff

From: David Levine
Subject: Re: crufty mhn.default.sh stuff
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2021 06:49:14 -0800

Paul wrote:

> ralph wrote:
>  >
>  > As George pointed out, mpv(1) is popular.  I switched to it from
>  > mplayer(1).
>
> Thanks for the tip.

Yes, Ralph, and for feh and llpp.

mpv can be used for images, and its defaults for scaling and exit
(--keep-open=no) seem handy for previewing.

>  > There are so many choices; couldn't we punt to xdg-open(1) for
>  > ‘mhshow-show-image’ which is the fallback if a subtype-specific entry
>  > isn't found?  The current practice of pushing a GIF or JPEG through
>
> Agreed -- xdg-open seems to do a good job, at least as a fallback.

I'd like to use xdg-open as the primary helper, if it's installed on
the system.  It was developed to manage that concern.  Users can
override with their own preferences, of course.

> I just tried it on images (ImageViewer), videos (mplayer), audio (vlc),
> pdf (foxit).  I don't recall configuring it, but it might have picked
> up on my mplayer preference somewhere.

It does seem to use reasonable defaults.  And if a package was
configured to support it, installing or removing it updates the
defaults.

Ralph wrote:

> To hijack the thread a bit, I find when I first show an email that I'm
> after a summary of non-text parts, e.g. pdfinfo(1) rather than viewing
> the PDF.

> So presenting new users with a single ‘ show’ concept
> seems wrong.

show -preview?  Or, leave this for experienced users to set up
profiles just for preview use.