nano-devel

Re: Please release nano under less restrictive license so we can use it

From: Gur Telem
Subject: Re: Please release nano under less restrictive license so we can use it
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2023 14:26:22 +0300

I assume this is a related discussion. It discusses the App Store vs the Operating system, but I believe the same issues apply:
https://www.fsf.org/blogs/licensing/more-about-the-app-store-gpl-enforcement

After reading this I am starting to understand the issue.
Distributing the nano binaries along with the OS itself is problematic since you have to agree to other terms of service before using it, which conflicts with the GPL license.

The only way around this would be either getting the nano binaries after the OS is installed or dual license nano to allow Apple to distribute it with the OS.

I'm afraid either option might be a lost cause.

Gur Telem
gtelem@apple.com
+972-52680-3610