nano-devel

Re: Please release nano under less restrictive license so we can use it

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: Please release nano under less restrictive license so we can use it
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2023 09:06:25 +0200

Op 28-04-2023 om 20:37 schreef Gur Telem:
[...] but if the owners wouldn't cooperate [...]

Why would the owners need to "cooperate"?  The GPL is a perfectly free
license.  It allows anyone to use nano for anything they want.  It even
allows them to modify nano in any way they like without even requiring
them to rebrand it.  What on earth is the freaking problem?

All I can imagine is that they want to build in some phone-home routines,
sending over whatever the user is doing with nano...

But looking at https://opensource.apple.com/source/nano/nano-5/patches/,
there is just one patch in patches/, where they change the name of the
ncurses library in the configure script.  That is of course a strange
thing to do -- it should be done in configure.ac instead.  I don't know
how to do that, but there seem to be enough Apple fans on this list that
there will be someone who is willing and able to adjust any needed patches
to an acceptable form.

Benno