nano-devel

Re: Please release nano under less restrictive license so we can use it

From: akierig
Subject: Re: Please release nano under less restrictive license so we can use it
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2023 15:40:56 -0500

On 2023-04-28 at 13:37 (-0500) Gur Telem wrote:

Afaik i don't think it’s a problem to distribute the changes we make. They're more afraid that the fact that something that is open source under GPL is distributed along with the binaries of the OS might be a problem and somehow may affect the entire code base.
I’ll try to get the legal team to clarify but if the owners wouldn't cooperate I don't see how much help that would do.

Gur:

I say this with greatest respect as a lifelong Apple user but this is a case where Apple Legal needs to get over its fear of the GPL3 and start letting y'all use it. There are plenty of successful commercial projects using GPL3 and as much as I'd like to see MacOS open sourced, I doubt that will ever happen. It is what it is.

I don't think there is much Chris or Benno can do with regards to changing the license, as the FSF has copyright to most of the code. Given their disdain for Apple, I doubt they'd agree to change the license.

What puzzles me is what's keeping you from using MacPorts (https://ports.macports.org/port/nano/) or Homebrew to install it?

kind regards,

ander