nano-devel

Re: Please release nano under less restrictive license so we can use it

From: Gur Telem
Subject: Re: Please release nano under less restrictive license so we can use it
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2023 09:54:59 +0300

Thank you for your response,
AFAIK Apple makes some minor changes to the source. I don't think that distributing the changes is the issue.
When I asked the same questions, the answers I got was that distributing the GPL software along with the OS as a binary may legally require the entire OS to be open sourced.
I personally don't understand how that is possible, my understanding is that if we disclosure all the changes made to a source code, we can freely distribute it along with proprietary binaries with no issues.
Indeed the requirement comes from lawyers but maybe I can get someone to talk to and understand exactly what the issue is and then get proper approval to go back to nano.
I simply hate Pico. Keeps hard wrapping lines which breaks every file I edit.

If I get the legal team to detail exactly what bothers them so much, would you be willing to work with us on getting nano back in the system without risking the need to open source the entire OS?

Gur Telem
gtelem@apple.com