nano-devel

Re: Please release nano under less restrictive license so we can use it

From: akierig
Subject: Re: Please release nano under less restrictive license so we can use it
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2023 19:51:05 +0000

On 2023-04-25 at 14:50 (+00:00) Gur Telem <gtelem@apple.com> wrote:
Hi there,
I'm not speaking for the company, just myself and a few other angry users on the internet.
Apple can't use nano because it's licensed as GPLv3 we are stuck in the stone age using Pico.

If possible to make nano with less restrictive license like MIT or even Apache it would go a long way to help us integrate nano into the system and allow users to get the proper experience with a good and friendly editor (that doesn't attract a bunch of memes of people not being able to exit it).

Gur Telem
gtelem@apple.com
+972-52680-3610

Gur:

What's keeping you from installing nano via MacPorts or even homebrew? that 's how I do it on my Macs.

MacOS' bundled nano prior to the recent switch to pico was v2.x, IIRC. Not exactly a recent version.

cheers,
ander