myexperiment-hackers

[myexperiment-hackers] Re: myExperiment + RapidMiner

From: Jiten Bhagat
Subject: [myexperiment-hackers] Re: myExperiment + RapidMiner
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 15:57:03 +0000

> Well, it's not crucial, but I think downloading a zip and then
> throwing away a PNG, an SVG, a description, and some more meta data,
> and keeping only a small XML file making about 10% of the file size is
> not a particularly elegant design, is it? :-)

Depends. I wouldn't expect the user to have to strip individual things
out of the package to use them. I would expect an application to be able
to read the package and intelligently figure out what to do with the
contents. This is how Office 2007 and OpenOffice work. Besides, I
suspect most users wouldn't want to throw away any images and metadata
that come with the XML file as I expect these would be useful in
understanding how they might go about using that workflow.

In terms of file size - it's a zip file, so it's compressed. And zip
technology is now fairly ubiquitous. Even if it was just a single
workflow in a zip file that would usually be a large saving in disk space.

I do understand that this requires more work on the part of the
application developers to support this.

Jits