myexperiment-hackers

[myexperiment-hackers] Re: myExperiment + RapidMiner

From: Simon Fischer
Subject: [myexperiment-hackers] Re: myExperiment + RapidMiner
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 16:36:45 +0100

Jiten Bhagat wrote:
[cc'ing the myExperiment dev list]

Hi Simon,

Packaging this as a zip has benefits beyond myExperiment:
- it's easily extensible for future needs - you can add new things
beyond the workflow definition.
- it's highly portable.
- you can embed custom things in there - like custom components etc.
used by the users. Thereby ensuring that workflows can be run by anyone
(though this is a bigger engineering/design issue for you :-)).

Well, this is actually a very small issue.

[...]

However, as I understand it, when I upload a zip to workflow.xml, I
will also receive this zip file when I download it again, which is not
what I want, of course. As long as this behaviour can be avoided, I
can also make a zip file.

The current behaviour is that whatever has been uploaded will be
downloadable. So if your requirement above is crucial then we shouldn't
package your workflows as zips.

Well, it's not crucial, but I think downloading a zip and then throwing away a PNG, an SVG, a description, and some more meta data, and keeping only a small XML file making about 10% of the file size is not a particularly elegant design, is it? :-)

In that case, how about:
- We stick to uploading of the XML workflow definition via the API (as
you have already done).
- You send me a few examples of workflows, and a mockup of how you want
the "run" and "workflow components" sections to look like, so I can
build a processor and views. In the "Run" section it would be useful to
have links to how someone might run the workflow (eg: "download the
RapidMiner workbench from...").

Ok, I will do that in a separate mail.

Best,
Simon