Re: Monit DNS check response

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Monit DNS check response
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2019 22:32:46 +0200

Hi,

the implementation of extended DNS protocol test with custom queries is in progress.

Best regards,
Martin

On 4 Jun 2019, at 06:21, David Jones <address@hidden> wrote:

Does monit have the ability to check a DNS server for a specific response?  I have a need to check a local DNS server and if it becomes unhealthy, shutdown the bgpd service to send DNS traffic to a different data center.

Something like this?

check host nstest.example.com with address 127.0.0.1
    if failed port 53
        use type udp protocol dns
        content = "1.2.3.4"
    then exec "/bin/systemctl stop bgpd"
    else if succeeded then exec "/bin/systemctl start bgpd"

I already have an A record for "nstest" with a value of 1.2.3.4.

Thanks,
Dave