Re: Monit not picking up when usb drive unmounts itself

From: Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Subject: Re: Monit not picking up when usb drive unmounts itself
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2015 20:53:57 +0200

The solution is kind of hidden in the manual [1] (unfortunately), but the short
answer is, monitor the device not the mount-point, because if the disk
“unmounts" the mount point will still be there right?

So you need to figure out which device is behind your (cool) mount-point names,

So instead of

check filesystem snake-pliskin with path /mnt/snake-pliskin
     start program = "/bin/mount /mnt/snake-pliskin"
     stop program = "/bin/umount /mnt/snake-pliskin”

instead use

check filesystem snake-pliskin with path /dev/some-usb-device
     start program = "/bin/mount /mnt/snake-pliskin"
     stop program = "/bin/umount /mnt/snake-pliskin”

1. https://mmonit.com/monit/documentation/monit.html#THE-MONIT-CONTROL-FILE
section 4. CHECK FILESYSTEM <unique name> PATH <path>