Re: monit start/stop in a synchronous mode

From: mmrobins
Subject: Re: monit start/stop in a synchronous mode
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2015 15:23:37 -0700 (MST)

On 14 Oct 2014, at 13:46, Alainkr <akreienbuhl@> wrote:
We have added the CLI wait and result report feature to our TODO list,
currently the CLI just schedules the action and returns immediately.

I would love to see this feature as well.

Besides the +1, I'll add a little bit of why.  We use monit in our deploy
process in quite a few places to trigger restarts when new code goes out,
but because this happens asynchronously it's hard to tell if the deploy
succeeded until awhile after monit executes the restart command.  We tried
having our deploys execute the commands directly so that we get can get this
synchronously with a useful exit code, but what kept happening was someone
would adjust the deploy restart command and forget to adjust the monit
config with the new command or vice versa.

Another option would be to just have monit respond with what it would run,
that way we could exec that, but that gets a little trickier for groups of
things.  For example something like

# monit -g mygroup restart all
/usr/bin service1 restart
/usr/bin service2 restart