How to suppress monit alert if restart is successful?

From: John Mee
Subject: How to suppress monit alert if restart is successful?
Date: Tue, 6 May 2014 15:28:09 +1000

Hi,

We only want to be alerted if the service fails to restart. Is this possible?

That is, if on the first check the service is down then restart it but don't bother to send us an alert; if the service is still down two cycles in a row - the restart failed - then we need to know about that so send an alert.

I tried if not exist for 2 cycles then alert but found that whilst we'd get an alert it would not try to restart.

Tried it again with the below but same result: it sends an alert without attempting to restart.

check process mysql with pidfile /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid
   start program = "/etc/init.d/mysql start"
   stop program = "/etc/init.d/mysql stop"
   if not exist then restart
   if not exist for 2 cycles then alert

Can we set it to only send the alert when pain persists?

Thanks,
John.