Re: Automatically renicing a process

From: Lukasz Piwowarek
Subject: Re: Automatically renicing a process
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2012 10:58:44 -0700

This is not a monit answer but why not use upstart and then use "post-startup script" function to run renice?

Cheers

Lukasz

On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 9:12 AM, SL <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello

I didn't get any match on monit+renice, neither on the mailing list nor on the web. And yet, I think I have a pretty basic use case, so I might be missing something totally obvious.

I would like to automatically renice a process after it starts.

I have a NAS in charge of transcoding a webradio in realtime and streaming it to my LAN. Whenever another CPU-intensive is launched, the streaming starts skipping. Increasing the priority of the transcoding by hand prevents the skipping.

The transcoding server starts with a /etc/init.d script that uses start-stop-daemon. start-stop-daemon lets you define the nice level, but it would require editing the Debian packaged script, which I would like to avoid.

How would you do that?

Thanks
--
Sylvain