Does restart of service from outside trigger restart events?

From: YUM System Administration
Subject: Does restart of service from outside trigger restart events?
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 13:55:50 +0100

Hi all.

We are using monit to monitor some processes running as daemons but as
part or as extension (gem) of the ruby-on-rails framework.

Sometimes these daemons die and monit restarts them reliably. But
sometimes we run into timeout events, i.e. when the process gets
restarted for a certain amount of times within a given time period.

My question is: Does monit track, if a restart was done by monit itself
or does it not matter, if the restart was done by someone else / has
been invoked by a user from shell or something?
Does monit just count how often a restart has been done within a given
period of time? If the threshold is reached, the "TIMOUT" Event is
triggered and monit's surveillance of the daemon is stopped?

The problem is: Every time our developers deploy the rails application,
the daemons get restarted too. Sometime this happens very frequently (
every two minutes).

We are running monit 5.1.1 from debian squeeze and 4.10.1 from debian lenny.

Regards
Hans Ulrich