Re: Extensibility of MONIT

From: Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Subject: Re: Extensibility of MONIT
Date: Thu, 5 May 2011 16:21:28 +0200

On May 5, 2011, at 2:59 PM, Ortiz, Nelson wrote:

> In your plans for the next release you state that you will make it “easier to
> extend MONIT”.
>
> What do you mean?

Primarily to make it easier to add new protocol tests and some form of plugin
system based on execution of external scripts/programs. The following is a
draft specification of what we plan:

# This is our "plugin" solution allowing users to specify an external
# program to run and test from inside Monit.
check script xyz /path {
        each <timespec>    # When to run the test
        timeout <n sec>    # Optional timeout script
        case return?value
                0: ...alert
                1: ...action2
                2: ...action1, action2, action3
}

Maybe also add the option to execute a script or a program and test return
value from an "if-test"