Re: Quoting or escaping when using exec

From: Moshe Cohen
Subject: Re: Quoting or escaping when using exec
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2011 00:37:29 +0200

Reposting this.
Even if there is no way to perform the quoting, any workaround ideas, short of creating additional script files, would be helpful.

On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 9:03 PM, Moshe Cohen <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi,
Let's say I want to have an exec action like this:

exec "/bin/bash -c 'mail -s "multi word subject" address@hidden ' "

This will not work because the quotes around the subject collide with the outer quotes.
I have tried several types of escaping these quotes or single quotes, but have't found the way to do it.
How can I escape quotes so the command is passed to the bash script properly?