Re: [monit] dependancy & starting processes

From: Martin Pala
Subject: Re: [monit] dependancy & starting processes
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 13:21:21 +0200

On Jun 29, 2010, at 12:30 PM, Nick Upson wrote:

> I have a monit config (version 5..1.1)
>
> I have 2 problems:
>
> 1) 2 processes, A and B, process B depends upon process A but if
> process A fails to start monit attempts to start process B anyway,
> how can I change things so that there is no attempt to start B until A
> is running

The dependency implementation is currently "soft" and ensures correct
start/stop/restart sequence only - it doesn't enforce child service to wait for
parent service to become online. We will address this in future monit version
and change the dependency to "hard" (wait for parent service to become online
before starting child).

> 2) if a process attempts to start but fails, monit waits approx 30
> seconds before moving on (waiting for the pid file perhaps?),
> what is happening here and how can I change this behaviour

The start program has associated timeout which is by default 30s. You can
modify it like this:

    start program = "/etc/init.d/httpd start" with timeout 60 seconds