Re: [monit] Aborting monit on failure

From: Stephan-Frank Henry
Subject: Re: [monit] Aborting monit on failure
Date: Fri, 07 Aug 2009 10:58:16 +0200

> Stephan-Frank Henry wrote:
> > I have a requirement to have a monitoring system that will monitor a
> > file and a remote server (+ more later maybe) and if one of both
> > fails, the system should execute a scrip and then stop dead (i.e.
> > monit stop).
>
> Aleksander Kamenik wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It's "monit quit", but may I ask why do you want monit to kill itself
> instead of say "monit stop all && monit unmonitor all"? I just can't
> imagine why the kill is necessary.
>
> Regards,

Hi,

First off, thanks to all for the replies.

@Kill:
to be honest I just wanted to get it working and thought this would do.
After the failure case, I really do not need monit running any more so I
thought I would just kill it.

Plus, and currently the actual reason, as mentioned, I would also not see the
scripts being executed if it was *not* killed.

If there is a cleaner way, perfect. I just need those scripts executed.

Here is my current conf:

set daemon  15
set logfile syslog facility log_daemon

  check file slony_log with path /var/log/slony1/slony1.log
    if match "FATAL" then exec "/home/frank/monit/fail_action.sh"

 check host db_server_01 with address db_server_01
   if failed host db_server_01 port 5432 protocol pgsql then exec
"/home/frank/monit/fail_action.sh"
   depends on slony_log
<

The fail_action.sh is basically just a wrapper around a group of other scripts
I want to execute at runtime:
Stop slony (PostgreSQL replication system), failover the database and then stop
monit or at least make sure it does not monitor anything anymore. I would not
like for the master db to come back up and cause my system to go crazy on me. :)

regards,

Frank