Re: [monit] monit fails mysteriously on refresh after upgrade from Debi

From: Jenny Hopkins
Subject: Re: [monit] monit fails mysteriously on refresh after upgrade from Debian etch to lenny
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 12:50:30 +0000

2009/2/24 Martin Pala <address@hidden>:

> floating point exception could bean divide by zero ... one matching bug was
> fixed in upcoming monit-5.x:
>
> * Fixed possible crash when monit is watching VPS environment on
>  Linux which reports number of CPUs as 0. Thanks to Marius
>  Schmidt for report.
>
> => is monit running in virtual environment? if so (and if linux host reports
> 0 CPUs), upgrade to monit 5.x will solve the problem. You can get the monit
> source code here: http://www.mmonit.com/monit/download/

Yes, it's a xen virtual machine.
/proc/cpuinfo shows processor : 0
and the gdb/bt shows
#0  0x08053f62 in ?? ()
#1  0x0000522f in ?? ()
#2  0x082bc788 in ?? ()
#3  0x00000046 in ?? ()
#4  0xfbad8001 in ?? ()
#5  0x082b9210 in ?? ()
#6  0x082b9210 in ?? ()
#7  0x80000000 in ?? ()
#8  0x082b9210 in ?? ()
#9  0x082bdb40 in ?? ()
#10 0x082b930f in ?? ()
#11 0x037f0c7f in ?? ()
#12 0x00000000 in ?? ()

> To get the root cause, you can analyze the coredump using gdb:
>
> 1.) gdb <path to monit> <path to coredump>
> 2.) bt
>
> This will show backtrace and also allows to compare the data. If you will
> need help, let me know.

I don't quite know what to do with the data above, or if it can be
used to make a fix?
Debian unstable still uses monit-1.4, so to get past this
reported/fixed bug I suppose I'll have to install from source rather
than the debian package, as you suggest.

>> (By the way: do I need to turn coredump enabling off again?)
>
> coredumps are usually helpful for root causing crashes - you can disbale it,
> but in general it doesn't hurt - i usually use it everywhere in production
> so if something bad happens to any process, it's possible to backtrace the
> reason

This is all new to me, and most helpful.

Many thanks for the help.

Jenny