wrong status: "execution failed" stays on re-monitor

From: Grant Hollingworth
Subject: wrong status: "execution failed" stays on re-monitor
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 13:18:58 -0600

After Apache crashed and failed to restart it, monit gave up and stopped monitoring it. That's fine, that's how I have it configured:

check process apache with pidfile /var/run/apache.pid
  group web
  start program = "/etc/init.d/apache start"
  stop  program = "/etc/init.d/apache stop"
  if failed host 127.0.0.1 port 80 protocol http and request "/"
     3 times within 5 cycles then alert
  if cpu is greater than 60% for 2 cycles then alert
  if cpu > 80% for 5 cycles then restart
  if children > 250 then restart
  if loadavg(5min) greater than 10 for 8 cycles then alert
  if 3 restarts within 5 cycles then timeout

The problem is that after I killed all the Apache children (including the one that blocked the restart by hanging on to port 443) and ran 'monit monitor apache', the status hasn't changed.

Process 'apache'
 status                            Execution failed
 monitoring status                 monitored
 pid                               29741
 parent pid                        1
 uptime                            4h 6m
 childrens                         16
 memory kilobytes                  29548
 memory kilobytes total            602372
 memory percent                    1.9%
 memory percent total              38.8%
 cpu percent                       4.4%
 cpu percent total                 4.4%
 port response time                0.037s to 127.0.0.1:80/ [HTTP via TCP]
 data collected                    Mon Oct 23 13:09:12 2006

I found a thread from January indicating this was fixed in Monit 4.7, but I'm using 4.8.1.

This is on a Debian machine running Linux 2.4.32.

Another, minor, bug is that the status output says "childrens" instead of "children".