Re: multiple pids

From: Martin Pala
Subject: Re: multiple pids
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 16:46:58 +0200

Jan-Henrik Haukeland wrote:

On 20. apr. 2006, at 12.19, Marc Petitmermet wrote:

I guess then that there is also no

   "check status with script /etc/init.d/serviceX"

or something similar and then I could hide some script in serviceX which returns some result code that monit can interpret as ok or failure and start some actions accordingly.

You guess correct. However, many have requested such a feature over the years and I think it is something we need to implement. What do others think?

I agree - we can provide some interface which can smoothly integrate monit with external check scripts.

The script should return to monit (for example):
- the status (error level)
- detailed description of the situation (message)

The script should probably not perform the action itself - this should be monit responsibility. Monit can map the error level (status) to the appropriate action and call the methods (such as alert, stop, restart, unmonitor, etc.)

Monit can encapsulate the script:

- set the timelimit on script execution (in the case that the script will not return in some time limit, monit can perform the actions related to unresponsive fault monitor (for example send alert, etc.)

- make sure that there is just one instance running