restart program

From: Mike Jackson
Subject: restart program
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 09:00:53 -0700

Would it be possible to add a "restart program" configuration option to Monit, in addition to the "stop program" and "start program" options? The reason I ask: Occasionally, if Monit needs to restart Apache, it will issue the stop command. apachectl will return successfully almost right away, even if the processes aren't completely terminated and the ports freed. Monit thinks it's ready to start it up, and issues the start command. Apache then (to use a technical term) freaks out and sits there in limbo. It's not truly answering requests, but it also can't be restarted. My init.d script was set to sleep 5 seconds between the start and stop cycles if you issued the restart command line option; I moved the sleep invocation to the stop cycle, but it would be nice if Monit could issue a different command when it needs to restart, instead of running the stop command and then the start command.