Re: clamav-milter's pid

From: Martin Pala
Subject: Re: clamav-milter's pid
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 22:47:24 +0200

Hi,

see monit FAQ - example:

3. Q: I have a program that does not create its own pid file. Since
      monit requires all programs to have a pid file, what do I do?

   A: Create a wrapper script and have the script create a pid file
      before it starts the program. Below you will find an example
      script for starting an imaginary program (a Java program in this
      case).  Assuming that the script is saved in a file called
      /bin/xyz, you can call this script from monit by using the
      following in monitrc:

      check process xyz with pidfile /tmp/xyz.pid
        start = "/bin/xyz start"
        stop = "/bin/xyz stop"

          --8<--- (cut here)

          #!/bin/bash
          export JAVA_HOME=/usr/local/java/
          export DISPLAY=localhost:0.0
          CLASSPATH=ajarfile.jar:.

          case $1 in
           start)
           echo $$ > /tmp/xyz.pid;
           exec 2>&1 java -cp ${CLASSPATH} org.something.with.main \
           1>/tmp/xyz.out
           ;;
          stop)
           kill `cat /tmp/xyz.pid` ;;
          *)
           echo "usage: xyz {start|stop}" ;;
          esac

          --8<---- (cut here)

Martin

Mike Pepe wrote:
Hi all,

Just scanned the archives and I see a few people mentioned that monitoring clamav-milter doesn't work.

Add me to that list.

I'm not sure if anyone noticed, but clamav-milter has a negative pid.

# cat /var/run/clamav/clamav-milter.pid
-12611

of course, the actual pid the process is running is not negative.

could this be affecting monit?

thanks

-Mike