Pinging more than one host?

From: Vincent FLEURANCEAU
Subject: Pinging more than one host?
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 11:43:07 +0200

Hi all!

I'm new to Monit. But I've read the doc before posting ;-)

I use Monit to synchronize shutdown between my OpenBSD box (running Monit) and another host (NAS-server) running an UPS monitoring software. The UPS provides power for both hosts of course.

I've tried the following config and it works well:

Check host NAS-server with address 192.168.1.112
    if failed icmp type echo with timeout 120 seconds
      then exec "/sbin/shutdown -p -h +1"
      alert address@hidden

But if I need to halt the NAS-server for more than 120 seconds (regular maintenance), Monit will halt the OpenBSD box, too!

So, I would like to know if there is a way to ping ** many ** hosts? What I'm looking would be:

[ Check host NAS-server with address 192.168.1.xxx
  and
  Check host another-server with address 192.168.1.yyy ]

    if failed icmp type echo with timeout 180 seconds
      then exec "/sbin/shutdown -p -h +2"

I know that 'and' is ignored by the config parser, so: either there's another way of doing it or changes have to be made in Monit's code :-(

Any idea? Maybe I've missed something in the doc? Can dependencies help me, for example?

Thanks in advance,

-- Vincent