Re: configuring monit's httpd

From: Martin Pala
Subject: Re: configuring monit's httpd
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2004 20:40:08 +0100

Allen Shaw wrote:
Hi Christian,

Thanks for your comments!  I realized after sending that I have the wrong
subject header -- it should be "New install: Segmentation Fault", but you
addressed the real issue in any case.

Could anyone recommend a further debug procedure to help me figure out
what's going on?

strace -ft monit -Iv

This command shows all system calls during the run (-f = trace forks,
-t = show time).  Any further debugging would result in heavy gdb
usage.

Btw, did you compile monit yourself or is it a ready made package?

Monit was compiled by me using the commands just as I read them from the
docs (unfortunately, I have not yet learned what these commands mean...).
As far as I can tell, that compile went well.

As for strace, I get a God-auful lot of output that I'm not sure what to do
with -- could anyone give me a clue what I'm looking for.  Unfortunately my
programming experience is limited to a couple of scripting languages, so I
am grateful for any tips to make sense of the strace output.  I do get about
a thousand consecutive lines like this, which make me wonder:
    13:41:11 close(3)                       = -1 EBADF (Bad file descriptor)
    13:41:11 close(4)                       = -1 EBADF (Bad file descriptor)
    13:41:11 close(1022)                    = -1 EBADF (Bad file descriptor)
    13:41:11 close(1023)                    = -1 EBADF (Bad file descriptor)

I you or someone listening could help me with where to look, a few things to
check and what to look out for, I'm willing to do plenty of work, research,
and debugging to get this going. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Allen

Hi,

i can look on it. If it is possible, please do following steps:

1.) Let create process core in the time of crash - use following command:

  ulimit -c unlimited

2.) Send the trace output. You can save it for example by:

  strace -fto /tmp/monit.trace monit -Iv

(the output is in /tmp/monit.trace file now)

3.) run:

  gdb ./monit core.xxxx

(where 'monit' is monit binary and 'core.xxxx' is the monit core).

4.) at gdb prompt use:

  (gdb) bt

... and sent its output

Thanks,