Re: [Proposal] switching user and group id

From: Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Subject: Re: [Proposal] switching user and group id
Date: 10 Apr 2003 14:11:53 +0200

Jani Mikkonen <address@hidden> writes:

> I have accomplished same thing (with tomcat and jboss'es) so that i've
> written a shellscript that setups few environment variables and builds
> up needed jar paths, and calls up the *real* startup script with su so
> that the daemon dont run as root.

Yes and maybe it could be an advantage not to have to use su in shell
scripts. Your mail also gave me another idea; it should be possible to
setup environment variables before a program is started. So, the new
optional syntax in the control file would look something like this:

check XYZ ..
 start "/etc/init.d/xyz start" as USER nobody and GROUP nobody
  and with ENVIRONMENT {
             JAVA_HOME=/usr/local/java
             CLASSPATH=/usr/local/libjava/blabla:/opt/jakarta/shared/classes
             LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/qt/lib:/usr/lib:/usr/local/lib
             LD_RUN_PATH=/usr/lib:/usr/local/qt/lib
           }

What do you think?

Ps. I can give this a stab next week when a get back from my current
house-building project.

--
Jan-Henrik Haukeland