Re: Nagios Integration

From: Christian Hopp
Subject: Re: Nagios Integration
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 09:43:21 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 19 Feb 2003, Jan-Henrik Haukeland wrote:

> Russell Adams <address@hidden> writes:

(...)

> > That being said, all I'd like to do is allow more flexible alerts,
> > based on running an artibrary command instead of using just
> > email. That one feature alone would be simply awesome.
> >
> > This way I could use paging directly like so:
> >
> > alert `/usr/bin/snpp -m "Monit: $EVENT for $PROGRAM on $HOST" rladams`
> >
> > or I would have the option of using any other program to pass on the
> > data as needed. Spawn, exec, launch or whatever the program specified,
> > and terminal the child process if it fails to exit in less than 90 seconds.
>
> Actually we have discussed this idea before also, it's not a bad idea
> and I'm not sure why we didn't implement it. Anyone remember?

The problem of this might be that we reduce the reliability of monit
by depending on "other programs". ==> What should monit do if this
mechanism fails?

On the other hand I would say right now...  why not having this facility
and we don't need snmp integration... because external programs could
send the traps, too.

Christian

--
Christian Hopp                                email: address@hidden
Institut für Elektrische Informationstechnik             fon: +49-5323-72-2113