Build libmodbus, linker error

From: Wagner, Martin
Subject: Build libmodbus, linker error
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 15:01:25 +0000

Hi,

I'm trying to build libmodbus (https://libmodbus.org/), but run into a linker
error:

"/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lwsock32"

libmodbus is a c library and uses autotools, so nothing special.

I've tried the steps from the tutorial, also the ones with additional configure
flags, but I always get the same error. Did I miss something?

Thank you for your help!

Regards,
Martin

-------
mxe build command:
$ make qt6-qtbase boost MXE_TARGETS='x86_64-w64-mingw32.shared'
-------
package build command (as in tutorial for autotools, except for "shared"):
$ export PATH=/opt/mxe/usr/bin:$PATH
$ ./autogen.sh
$ ./configure --host=i686-w64-mingw32.shared
$ make
-----
Error output:
make --no-print-directory all-recursive
Making all in src
  CC       modbus.lo
  CC       modbus-data.lo
  CC       modbus-rtu.lo
  CC       modbus-tcp.lo
  CCLD     libmodbus.la

*** Warning: linker path does not have real file for library -lwsock32.
*** you link to this library.  But I can only do this if you have a
*** shared version of the library, which you do not appear to have
*** because I did check the linker path looking for a file starting
*** with libwsock32 but no candidates were found. (...for file magic test)
*** The inter-library dependencies that have been dropped here will be
*** automatically added whenever a program is linked with this library
*** or is declared to -dlopen it.

*** Since this library must not contain undefined symbols,
*** because either the platform does not support them or
*** it was explicitly requested with -no-undefined,
*** libtool will only create a static version of it.
Making all in tests
make  all-am
  CC       bandwidth-server-one.o
  CCLD     bandwidth-server-one
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lwsock32
make[3]: *** [Makefile:650: bandwidth-server-one] Fehler 1
make[2]: *** [Makefile:586: all] Fehler 2
make[1]: *** [Makefile:498: all-recursive] Fehler 1
make: *** [Makefile:384: all] Fehler 2