[Maposmatic-dev] Stopped updates to PostGIS

From: Maxime Petazzoni
Subject: [Maposmatic-dev] Stopped updates to PostGIS
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2014 10:01:46 -0700

Hi all,

This is a notice to inform you that I stopped the minutely updates to
our PostGIS database as of 9:55AM PDT today March 11th.

Updates take up about 250MB per day and we're down to only 600MB of
available free space on the postgres_data volume group.

Two options are available:

  - buy an SSD drive using the donations (they're here for this!) and
    have it added to gcc75 for our use in this volume group. Adding it,
    extending the volume group and resizing the filesystem can all be
    done very easily but needs coordination with the owners of
    gcc75.fsffrance.org.

  - delete and re-import a fresh full planet import (which is always
    smaller). Latest PBF planet file is 23GB and would take around 4 or
    5 days to import, after which we can restart the updates.

Let me know what you think. Option 1 is definitely easier. Option 2
takes a lot more (of my) time, including downtime for the site.

/Max

--
Maxime Petazzoni <http://www.bulix.org>
 ``One by one, the penguins took away my sanity.''