Re: [Maposmatic-dev] maposmatic.org unreachable ?

From: David MENTRÉ
Subject: Re: [Maposmatic-dev] maposmatic.org unreachable ?
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2013 21:35:02 +0200

Hello Maxime,

Le 04/04/2013 20:45, Maxime Petazzoni a écrit :
Isn't postgresql vacuum process supposed to do that? Do we need a
>cleanup process at application level?
Vacuum takes an exclusive lock on the database and takes (interestingly)
longer than doing a full planet import.

Yes, that's strange! Those database issues are out of my knowledge but I nonetheless think this vacuum behaviour should not occur.

>Doing an import on a regular basis is not sustainable.
The import is actually pretty quick on SSD. But yeah, it's a bit
annoying. I was actually wondering if we should simply do a full import
every day and swap (with minutely updates in between).

So we have enough SSD space for two full imports but not enough for one full import plus several weeks/months/... of update? Therefore we clearly have an issue with vacuum. Maybe we need to trigger it more frequently, let it do its jobs by sopping updates for a while, give it more priority, etc.

But if you prefer doing a full import each 12h or 24h, that's fine for me. MapOSMatic service is still useful with such delay.

Best regards,
david