Re: [Maposmatic-dev] [Maposmatic-contact] Asturian translation for ocity

From: Thomas Petazzoni
Subject: Re: [Maposmatic-dev] [Maposmatic-contact] Asturian translation for ocitysmap
Date: Fri, 4 May 2012 12:04:01 +0200

Hello Xuacu,

I am copying the address@hidden list, which is the place where we
discuss all the development around MapOSMatic. Please keep this list in
the Cc: field. Thanks!

Le Thu, 03 May 2012 23:26:34 +0200,
Xuacu Saturio <address@hidden> a écrit :

> I'm Xuacu, a translator of some FLOSS projects into Asturian
> language, including OSM interface and some other related sites.
>
> I have started a new translation to make MapOSMatic (very cool
> project, btw!) available in Asturian language. I've got so far to
> generate a .po file for ocitysmap (the translated file is attached
> with this message).

Excellent! I have integrated your ocitysmap translation, and you can
now render Asturian maps on http://dev.maposmatic.org. See an example
at http://dev.maposmatic.org/jobs/611. It is not yet visible on
www.maposmatic.org, but it will be there next time we deploy MapOSMatic
in production (which happens roughly once a week these days).

A few comments/questions:

 * I didn't no how to say "Spain" in Asturian, so for the moment in the
   map language selector, you will see "España (AST)". If you tell me
   how to say "Spain" in Asturian, I will fix this.

 * To translate OcitySMap, two things are needed: the translation of
   the .po file as you did, but also sometimes a bit of Python code
   that is responsible for doing street names transformation. If you
   look at the index of the map, you will see that most streets are
   under the letter "C", because they are all "Calle Foobar", "Calle
   Barfoo", etc. By adding a bit of language-specific Python code, we
   can transform this into "Foobar (Calle)" and "Barfoo (Calle)" which
   makes the street index more useful. You can see how it is done for
   Spanish at

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/maposmatic/ocitysmap.git/tree/ocitysmap2/i18n.py#n192.
   If you don't know how to write Python code, just tell us the list of
   appelations and determinants, and we'll implement it.

> Unfortunately, I've been unable to generate the gettext file for
> MapOSMatic itself; when running "./manage.py makemessages --no-wrap
> -l ast" I get some error messages about "settings.py": (If the file
> settings.py does indeed exist, it's causing an ImportError somehow.)
>
> And this is well beyond what I'm able to fix without breaking
> things ;)
>
> Please, could someone generate the MapOSMatic gettext file for
> Asturian so I can download it from git?

Done. You can fetch the .po file to translate at
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/maposmatic.git/plain/www/locale/ast_ES/LC_MESSAGES/django.po.

Thanks again a lot for your contribution!

Best regards,

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni                http://thomas.enix.org