Re: [Maposmatic-dev] Features from the Code Sprint?

From: Thomas Petazzoni
Subject: Re: [Maposmatic-dev] Features from the Code Sprint?
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 09:23:43 +0200

Hello Kate,

On Thu, 9 Sep 2010 19:27:37 -0400
Kate Chapman <address@hidden> wrote:

> I was wondering what the plan was for the features from the code
> sprint to be integrated into the main branch and released.
>
> Is there anything I can do to help with this?  I tried to get things
> running locally myself and ran into a couple problems.  I can help
> with testing and what not if that is what the process needs.  I can
> also ask questions about how to get things running as well.

Ah, please report the problems you had, that's very useful for us. For
the moment, the result of the code sprint is available in special
branches:

 Branch ocitysmap2 for ocitysmap
 http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/maposmatic/ocitysmap.git/log/?h=ocitysmap2

 Branch ocitysmap2-integration for maposmatic
 http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/maposmatic.git/log/?h=ocitysmap2-integration

At this time, what we need to do before publishing this new work :

 * Switch to a newer server. Our current server has its disk full and
   is no longer powerful enough to cope with the fast increase of OSM
   data. We've been working for the last ~2 months on a newer server,
   but had all sorts of problems and still having problems. We're
   looking for alternate solutions, but they are not easy to find (we
   need 8+ GB of RAM, 1 TB of fast disk).

 * Review/integrate the work done by David Decotigny on street index
   generation.

At that stage, we should be able to deploy the new version on
dev.maposmatic.org, for a wider testing/debugging phase.

> The new features will greatly simplify my life is why I'm asking.

Just curious, what are you using MapOSMatic for ? Which particular
features are you interested in ?

Regards,

Thomas
--