Re: [Maposmatic-dev] [RFC] Query optimization and GEOS version

From: Emilie Laffray
Subject: Re: [Maposmatic-dev] [RFC] Query optimization and GEOS version
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2010 10:50:00 +0100

On 16 July 2010 10:45, Maxime Petazzoni <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi all,

I've given some more work to my query optimization patch in the past few
days, in particular to track down these annoying GEOS intersect errors.

It appears the version of GEOS on the server (3.0.x) is very buggy with
intersections computations so there is no real solution here
unfortunately.

Possible courses of action are:

 * upgrade the server to 10.4 to get Postgres 8.4 and GEOS 3.2, with
   which we can use this patch and benefit from the significant
   performance improvement. I have tested it on my machine and so far
   no rendering has failed with GEOS errors, not to mention the way,
   way faster queries.

   I don't know Ubuntu enough to handle this upgrade though. Not sure
   of the effect of the upgrade on our infrastructure, too.

 * migrate to the new server as soon as possible, we're waiting to here
   from Jerome here on the hardware issues of the machine hosting our
   VM. It runs Debian testing, and has Postgres 8.4 and GEOS 3.2.

 * do nothing, and be sad. :)

Comments, questions and feedback on the patch itself is also appreciated
of course!

I would advise not to upgrade to 8.4 / postgis 1.4. Frederick presentation showed a major regression in performance that it is solved only by the use of 9.0 beta and postgis 1.5. It is in theory possible to upgrade to 1.5 of Postgis with postgres 8.3. Etienne Chove has deployed on the free server postgis 1.5 on Debian.

Emilie Laffray